Wednesday, May 18, 2011

[Stratos Burst] Hacking the camera #1

First off, there is a LOT of technical information available on the CHDK wiki, the firmware hack that unlocks many more functions for your camera than might normally be available. I invite you to read as much of it as you can stand, but to shortcut right to the easiest and most direct method for my A480:

I have made a simple text file that is renamed "ver.req",  and copied it to an SD card that I put into the camera. This allows me to access more detailed version information and retrieve the cameras actual firmware version information. With that nugget, I can download the proper firmware hack version from the Autobuild Download site. This information will be useful later.

The site suggests using Card Tricks, downloaded from this forum thread, and it looks like it should be the most reliable way to set up the SD card. Card Tricks didn't like the SD card that I had on hand, though, so I  downloaded the firmware zip file, unpacked it straight into the SD, and loaded it into the camera. By starting the camera in playback mode, and navigating the menu to the Firmware Update command, I can load the CHDK firmware, which will access the intervalometer script later. This seemed to work, and I could have saved myself a lot of time by just trying that first.

No comments:

Post a Comment